Monday, January 18, 2010

Beginning

So let's get the Me ME ME ME out of the way:

By day I am a vovlo-driving suburban Mum, in Perth Western Australia. By other times I am an English Expat, on the cusp of past-it rock-chick and a cook to the stars with an excellent pedigree and plenty of experience. I am only Chinese by marriage.
Years ago I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and cooked for bands in a North London recording studio. There followed a break for breeding and emigrating then back to the coalface working in event catering but chiefly backstage catering at outdoor music shows in Perth.
I like to cook, I like to name-drop (although if I can't say anything nice I won't be saying anything at all - I still work in the industry) and I like to amuse myself with degrees of separation I have to most of the music industry circa 1999). I adore slow cooked pork shoulder and BBQ shapes dipped in mayo and chili sauce. Though of course not on the same plate. If I could cook for three people tomorrow (two of whom are in Perth as I type) I would select The Reverend Al Green, Dave Grohl and Anthony Bourdain - even though he's usually over-joyed with fried beef slurry on a stick. And of course a rescue team in Haiti. I could whip up a temporary canteen and hearty food in a few hours. (Did you send your money in?).

For dinner tonight I 'm going to make a laksa with a fumet I have in the freezer made from the bones of a potato cod - here's the first tip: Learn to fillet fish, make a fumet with the carcass to freeze for later and never pay 32 bucks a kilo again. And make sure you gouge all the meat out of the head and cheeks. Oh and do it the night before your bins go out so the scraps don't stink out your kitchen,

Tomorrow night I 'm going to see Them Crooked Vultures and what's more I actually paid for the tickets. I am tremendously excited. A-quiver, no less. I-pod docked in Volvo, New Thang at full blast while taking the kids to the pool

This is my first blog so if you feel the need to comment don't worry about being kind and fluffy just make sure you're witty.

Bon Chance, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment